1. “The Japan Foundation” (hereinafter referred to as “the JF”), operating the website “japonismes.org” (hereinafter referred to as “This Site”), respects the privacy of users of all content and services in This Site (hereinafter referred to as “Users”) and exerts extreme caution in the managing of Users’ personal information.
Collection of Personal Information
4. The JF collects Users’ Personal Information by ethical methods, and not by illegal methods that are contrary to Users’ rights.
5. The Institute notifies Users of, or publishes the purpose of, its use of Personal Information.
The use of Personal Information
6. The JF uses Personal Information collected from Users for the purposes of operating This Site and other sites that the Institute operates. The main purposes are as follows.
(1) The screening applications of the Associate Program, the project implementation and the ex post evaluation and, in a general way, all the administrative procedures necessary for the progress of the project.
(2) To create, analyze and release statistical data related to this site and services.
(3) For the distribution of the newsletter.
Provision of Personal Information to Third Parties
7. The JF does not provide or disclose Personal Information to any third party without the Users’ approval or permission; however, this shall not apply in the following cases:
(1) When the Users have agreed to disclosure;
(2) When the information is disclosed or offered as anonymized data;
(3) When the disclosing or offering is permitted by the laws and/or regulations of Japan;
(4) When the disclosing or offering is required by a public agency based upon the laws and/or regulations of Japan;
(5) When the JF delegates some or all of the Service to any third party for the purpose of providing the Service;
(6) When the Institute delegates some or all of the Service to any third party;
Usage of Access Logs and IP Addresses by the Institute
8. The JF is able to collect information related to Users’ privacy through their access log, IP address, etc. Information about likes or interests, browsing history, etc. is collected by using the access log, IP address, etc.
In addition, the JF is able to use such information without any limitation as long as the Institute uses the information in a format that makes it impossible to identify the individual and that makes it impossible to check against Personal Information.
Modification of Purpose of Use, etc.
9. Modification of This Policy by the JF, such as a change of purpose of use, change of method of management, etc. becomes effective immediately when the Institute uploads the updated version of This Policy on This Site.
(Exclusion of Liability)
10. The JF does not accept any liability for the protection of privacy from websites linked to This Site. Users access or visit external linked websites at their own risk.
11. The JF exercises reasonable efforts to prevent all collected information from being disclosed to any third party accidentally. However, despite the security system of the Japan Foundation, should any information be accidentally leaked, the JF assumes no liability or responsibility for divulging any personally identifiable information.
12. The JF appoints the following desk to be Chief Administrator of Personal Information, and tries to manage Personal Information appropriately and to improve the enforcement of policies related to the protection of Personal Information continuously. In addition, the following desk is the contact for inquiries about Personal Information at the JF.
Privacy Protection Desk : Planning and Coordination Section, Arts and Culture Dept.
The Japan Foundation
4-4-1 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0004 Japan
1. Processing Personal data, etc.
“Personal data” means any data relating to an identified or identifiable natural person, including, without limitation, names, addresses, dates of birth, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, and any other information collected in connection with providing the Services.
“Processing” means any operation or set of operations which is performed on personal data, etc. or on sets of personal data, etc., whether or not by automated means, such as collection, recording, organization, structuring, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, restriction, erasure or destruction.
(2) Purpose of use of personal data, etc.
The JF will process the Users’ personal data to provide, improve and develop the Services.
In the case of processing the Users’ personal data for purposes other than the above, the JF will notify Users in advance of such new purposes of use and other matters as required by applicable laws.
The personal data that Users are to provide is necessary in order for the JF to provide the Service to the Users, and there may be cases in which Users who have not provided such data will be unable to use the Service.
(4) Retention Period
The JF will retain the Users’ personal data as long as the JF requires such data for achieving the purpose of use specified above.
(a) In the case that the country in which the third party is located is outside the EEA, such country does not have the same data protection laws as EEA member countries, i.e., many of the rights provided to data subjects in the EEA may not be given;
(b) The Users’ personal data will be provided and processed for the purpose specified above; and
(c) The Users’ personal data will be provided to third parties located outside the EEA.
In addition to the above, in the case that the JF provides the Users’ personal data to a third party located in a country outside the EEA, the JF will ensure that adequate measures such as standard contract clauses based on the GDPR are taken concerning the protection of the Users’ personal data.
(6) Rights of Users
The Users may request from the JF access to, rectification or erasure of, and restriction of processing of their personal data, may object to the processing of the Users’ personal data, and may request data portability. The JF accepts such Users’ requests at the contact point set forth in “3. Contact” below.
The JF may refuse the Users’ requests if the JF deems that there is no basis for such Users’ requests or if they are deemed excessive.
The Users may raise objections with the data protection authorities having jurisdiction over the location of the Users’ domicile with regard to the processing of their personal data.
2. Safety Management Measures
In order to protect from unauthorized access to personal data, loss, etc. of personal data, taking into account the type of personal data, the degree of sensitivity and the degree of economic influence and mental harm caused to Users in the case of a personal data breach, the JF comprehensively evaluates and judges the risks of personal data breaches, implements appropriate personal, organizational and technical safety management measures based on the risk of a personal data breach, if necessary, checks such safety management measures, sets up a process for correction, and constantly strives to improve security.
The JF shall strive to appropriately manage personal data by restricting the entry of outsiders into the offices which are processing personal data, conducting educational awareness activities for all officers and employees involved in the protection of personal data, and placing a manager in charge for each division processing personal data.
The contact information for The JF is as follows:
< Planning and Coordination Section, Arts and Culture Dept. The Japan Foundation >
4-4-1 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0004 Japan